Saturday, August 12, 2023

Abstract Balloon Cards

 In July, I participated in a crafting retreat hosted by Lynne Wolfe Bunn. Had to travel to Georgia with a mini supply of my crafting materials that I could push/carry through an airport. Wow… an effort. Stayed at a lovely farm with great crafting and lodging amenities and got to meet 11 very lovely crafty ladies for the first time in person! What a very special experience once in a lifetime experience! Even visited a craft store while there (all mine have closed down)! I even got to check off a tornado from my personally experienced natural disasters list which already includes: blizzard, ice storm, earthquake, fire, and hurricane :-)! So, even though we were without power the last 3 days we still got to share our varied techniques with each other! Here’s the items I created there - 

Toward the end, Lynne pulled out a stack of cards from this box of ideas and told everyone our homework was to create something from our 2 cards.

I pulled out these 2 - 



So, after relaxing when I got home, I started in on my assignment. Since I’ve been loving and sharing with  this group Denise Love’s abstract art videos, I immediately went there. I took out a leftover half sheet of watercolor paper, taped it up and started playing with acrylic and gold paints, inks, gold, black and white Posca pens, Stabilo pencil, stencils, and paste, and created this sheet. I even used a Prima stamp to add some script. I had purposely used my brush and then shading, after playing, to create and embellish the appearance of balloons.

Must admit this was so fun! I then cut the paper into 2 pieces to form cards. In the first card I had to hand cut and paint a balloon for the Technique Tuesday sentiment. For the balloon, I added a black thread and backed with gold paper. I backed the sheet with black paper and mounted that on red paper.


For the next card, I used a Studio Katia die frame and platinum embossed a Picket Fence’s It’s Peopley Out There sentiment. I added sequins to complete this card!

I love how they both turned out so different! Such a fun exercise - check out the Stampers Swap Shop/Buy/Sell/ISO/Share/Swap group for the rest of the group’s challenges and creations!

Hope these inspired you to create something new and different. Must admit I have no balloon stamps… so that was my challenge! Till next time, happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment