Monday, May 7, 2018

Blue SMAK Flower Card

Used the flower, 2 background stamps and the sentiment from the Unity 12/16 SMAK kit to create this card. I was originally channeling a patterned paper to create the background. To complete the look, I also used the background stamp from the Layers of Life Eternal kit.

I began by dipping the watercolor paper in yellow, forest and hickory smoke oxides and dried the paper. Using a Misti tool, I then stamped the diamond pattern background stamp across the top in hickory smoke. I stamped the left side flower background stamp in blue and green oxides. The bottom background stamp was done in hickory smoke again. Following this I stamped the flower in a combo of medium and dark blue oxides and the stem and leaves in the smoke and forest green oxides. After this, I started spattering white, orange and red colors using the Posca pen, oxides and Brea Reese ink.

To color the flower, I used a combo of blue inks (oxides, distress and Brea Reese). I also added some white ink. On the stems and leaves, I used the forest green and added silver glitter pen (again channeling the patterned paper),

At this point, I decided I wanted more of a contrast around the flower and added a messy wash of orange. I probably could have skipped this step, but I didn’t! So, it is what it is! I stamped the sentiment, added blue ribbon on the side, dark enamel blue dots and mounted it all on Kraft cardstock. As usual, I am experimenting on creating interesting, supportive background paper that complements the edginess of the mixed media type images. I think this turned out okay, but Ned to continue practicing this style (I love doing this freestyle stuff...good story and I’m sticking to it!)





2 comments: