Monday, May 7, 2018

Bee Cards

Stared making a bee card yesterday and ended up making 2 when things weren’t working right. I used the bee, honeycomb and sentiment from Unity’s April 2018 KOTM on the first card finished and used the bee, honeycomb and both stamps from All Hail the QUEEN Bee kit on the second card.

On the first card, the honeycomb was double stamped which produced a reddish brown color. This caused a problem later in color matching so I added a black pen and grey Faber Castelle Artist pen in silver in corners. I used a yellow Glimmer mist as well as yellow and orange Brea Reese Glitter ink and yellow distress ink to fill in the honeycombs, bee and bee background. I also added white Posca dots. I wanted to try using my Memory Box honeycomb die, so I used it on the corners of the watercolor paper. I backed that with black paper scraps and, again, deciding it was too stark, used the silver pen again on the honeycombs. Keeping with the silver theme, I found a silver paper scrap, cut the inside and outside to form a frame for the bee. Then, wanting more from the bland bee, I added vellum wings, with silver pen on the back. To finish the card I rounded the corners on the frame and the honeycomb. I then stamped the sentiment using grey ink on yellow paper and backed an ephemera I found with a grey scrap. To pull the card together, I added a white netting, silver piece behind the sentiment, cream twine and enamel dots. I think I finally found a combo that worked on this one!

The second card components started somewhere in the middle of the first one as I stamped using different inks and trying to match with different papers. So, on this one, I used Brea Reese inks too, but in darker tones, with orange highlights. I also realized I wanted the honeycomb stamped in black. And I finally found the All Hail the QUEEN Bee Kit this morning, so I could use it with this card! (Ey, I looked all over last night for it!) I used a Spectrum Noir Silver Glitter pen on all of the wings this time. I also relied on grey this time as well, with newsprint background, silver washi tape, and the grey background behind bee. I added some non-straight lines by cutting the honeycomb, using a Hero Arts postage stamp and using a Tim Holtz sentiment die. I  used pencils on the sentiment paper. I think this card finally turned out decent as well.

Have to say, I had difficulties with this effort, but I think the cards turned out okay...not great, but okay!





No comments:

Post a Comment