Sunday, April 1, 2018

Don’t be like the Rest of Them Card

I “reckon” I’ve lived my life this way, from my career, where I was often the first woman to do something to my card making style. Granted I wasn’t always successful, but it was always a challenge and learning experience.

Well, so here I am again, on another journey, playing a little with mixed media on a card, using several Unity kits, Don’t be like the rest of them..., Giving it all Meaning, and, a love Beyond Measure. I used 3 stencils, one from Hero Arts, one from Art Anthology and a Donna Downey stencil. For coloring, I used Kuretake watercolors, Derwent Inktense pencils, Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist, Posca paint pen and Charvin Pastel Watercolor sticks. I also used texture paste, and for paper, the Prima Wild and Free paper pad, the Wild Rose Studio Antique Library pack, scrap paper and Aqua watercolor paper.

I stamped the image in archival ink twice and made a mask out of the second image. I then used a Hero Arts stencil to create a grey flow outward from the image of tiny leaves using Hickory Smoke Oxide. I then took the printed words stamp and stamped that around the rose in Aged Mahogany Oxide. Finally I took Vintage Photo and placed some hollyhocks stencil patterns around the rose image. I then took the Art Anthology stencil and applied some texture paste around the image.

I colored the image first with the watercolors and then deepened the color using pencils. I then sprayed around the image, holding the mask over the rose, with the Glimmer Mist. I then distressed the edges. I also used the pastels to outline and emphasize the image. I then backed the image with paper, die cut with a Kat Scrappiness die, and distressed those edges as well. I spattered the white paint pen over the image and let that dry. Finally, I added a fancy ribbon on one side.

I stamped “Unique” onto some of the Vintage Library paper and stamped the notepad paper stamp onto another paper from that pack. I then stamped the sentiment onto the new notepad paper and backed that with a piece of red ephemera.

To finish the card I added several layers of paper, enamel dots, flowers and a butterfly. One of the papers I used a hand leaf border on. I think the card turned out a success...(in other words, okay)! If I were to do this over again, I would like to figure out how to make my own spray as the Glimmer mist was a little too opaque. But I’m interested in your thoughts. Take care, and until next time, happy crafting!

Update...took pic of some of the supplies!




No comments:

Post a Comment