Monday, February 5, 2018

Black and White Feather Card

Here’s another Unity Black and White Valentine card for my husband! I used the first card to play with all the background stamps. This time I wanted to make something special for my husband and I was urged by someone on the Unity blog to “get to it” and watercolor a card after admiring hers. So, looking through my stash I found that the Beautiful is Never Perfect kit has a fun image to color and has beautiful sentiments. I stamped the feather on to Canson Montval watercolor paper and stamped a sentiment below it. I then turned to my watercolors and set up 3 tones of black (grey). In my watercolor class, I was taught to make my own black by mixing pure Alizarin Crimson and Phthalo Green until you achieve black and to always have a ready made mixture on hand. I used that mix. I keep the colors in a plastic pill case and, yes, I do use a ceramic egg holder to hold my mixes while painting...hey, it works! More on that some other time... I used the 3 tones to create shadows and texture and then added a shadow underneath the feather - not perfect, but hey, it’s a card!

Once painted, I wanted to add another sentiment and found it in the Love is Grand kit. I stamped that onto the paper, and, here’s where I made a boo boo! The edge of the stamp left a mark... as sometimes happens (I hate when that happens, don’t you?). So, then I went searching for options to cover that up. In the meantime, I also started looking for a background paper that would frame the image. Found an Authentique paper and used that and black and white card stock to mount everything. Still was searching for solutions to my boo boo. Thought about some stickers and rejected those. Finally decided on black ribbon, but I didn’t want a bow! So, started looking for brads and finally found a Bo Bunny one that I thought was elegant. (Okay, the “started looking” took a 1/2 hour as I’m still trying to organize my stuff in some way that makes sense!) To complete the card, I added the ribbon and black dots.





I like how this one turned out and hope you do too! Till next time, have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment