Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Mixed Media Inspired Birthday Card

Came across some videos demonstrating mixed media art using a combination of colored and black and white stamped images which I thought was striking. I think I may have also caught a glimpse of cards created like this as well. I combined those ideas with the image of one of my Lang coffee mugs which I love seen here!


As usual, I also added another twist in that I created a rectangle using purple tape and distress oxide reds and grey inks and then dabbed more color around that. I used a stencil and the grey oxide ink to add to the background. I then stamped the flower image from the 11/16 KOTM several times using a red ink. I then grabbed more paper and stamped the image again several times using black ink (I embossed the image with black powder for the one I was keeping black and white). I used Brea Reese glitter inks and a yellow color burst to add color to the base card, very loosely. I colored in the additional image more carefully. I embossed the sentiment, from the Tulip Wishes Kit, which will continue inside the card, again with black powder. I assembled the card adding black outline papers and red sequins.


Unfortunately, my hand is still not fully functional and painful, so, of course, I see the errors where I couldn’t handle the techniques fully. But I think you can get the gist of the style. So fun and I love the dramatic look it achieves. I love both the black and white contrast and the use of a rectangle as a background.


Hope you enjoy these ideas; till next time, happy crafting!


4 comments:

  1. Wow!! So first, I thought you made that cup... lol! But wow!!! Your design is fabulous!! The colors are gorgeous! I love the bold red rectangle... it’s the perfect backdrop for the butterfly and flowers!! Amazing!!! I’m sad you’re still hurting though... praying for you my friend! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crystal.... luckily in the past week there’s a big difference in pain level, thank goodness! Now to get flexibility back... yes! Both techniques were fun!

      Delete
  2. Joyce, as you know I love your art. I need some help on mixed media. I can't seem to grasp it. Can you recommend a video or something? I know it's layering but that's it. Appreciate you. I am sorry you still are having pain, I know pain well. I will pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are enjoying my experiments! You know, I often watch YouTube videos... Maremi Small Art is a joy to watch! She is so encouraging. I also watch ShelC, Corrie Herriman, and many mixed media videos. I also checkout Pinterest mixed media. I belong to an Artist Trading Card exchange where I experiment.

      Delete