Monday, September 2, 2019

Growing In Unity Day One

A whole week... wow, where to start! Never having done this before, I decided to focus my creations each day this week using different background techniques. Might as well admit it, I’m terrible at CAS cards, so I’m going with my style preferences! Seemed to be a great way to show off the many varied wonderful Unity stamps I’ve hoarded, hmmm, that is, collected.

To start, I played with a gelli mat, acrylic paints, 2 stencils and texture plate, and a color scheme stolen from a Prima Marketing collection. I mixed the paints to get the colors I wanted as I went along. My process is roll the colors out I want, add a design by laying stencil on top and rolling different color over it, and then lay the cardstock on top of the plate to pick up the design. I kept changing colors and patterns and sometimes, just rolled paint onto stencil, and then placed paper directly on that. If I wasn’t happy with the paper, I would keep adding to it. At the end, I was ecstatic over the how well they turned out and how different they all looked. I took a video of the papers I created, which by the way, ended up drying flat. I used 3 of the papers (saving the rest for later).


For the first card I decided to use the edgy Better with Friends Kit. After stamping the flowers on watercolor paper I painted them using a Daniel Smith color swatch chart I had picked up. I ended up stamping the background script using Hickory Smoke Oxide ink and added paint splatters. I picked out the edgiest background to use. I then embossed the sentiment and fussy cut it out. I backed everything with black paper, added turquoise ribbon and funky sequins.



For the second card, I decided to paint the simple bouquet from the As We Go Along Kit. Again, I used the Daniel Smith paints. After deciding on a taupe background, I added a a little metallic taupe to the blossoms and a more muted background to complement the image. I stamped the sentiment using a Memento teal ink and added a gold shadow using a pen. I finished the card with a doily, gold thread and matching sequins.



To change up the mood, I decided to take one of the brighter backgrounds and paired it with a great snarky stamp set, the Today I Am Happy Kit. I had earlier made some other acrylic backgrounds using yellows and reds (creating orange based prints). I wasn’t as pleased with this set, but, as the colors are a great complement to the blue green prints, I decided to use one of the sheets to paper piece the girl. I used pencils on the rest of her. Since, the image of the girl has bubbles surrounding her, I decided to capitalize on this feature and added a ton more using black and white Posca pens. I embossed the sentiment directly on the paper. This time to make it a bit more dramatic, I created a black frame to surround the white edging around the image and called it done.



All in all, I think I created 3 very different looks, using the same background technique. Hope you agree! Try this sometime... it is so messy but fun! See you tomorrow for Day Two!

89 comments:

  1. Wow!! Love your style. The backgrounds are amazing as well as the cards you used them for. Looking forward to seeing what else you create this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful creations. Your gel prints are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilynn, thank you so much! Had a lot of fun creating those!

      Delete
  3. As always, I love every card you create. They have a beautiful artsy quality and full of emotion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, thank you so much! So happy you like my efforts!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful cards and I love playing with my gelli plate! Your backgrounds are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, thanks so much! It’s the next best thing since sliced bread, isn’t it? So fun!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful cards. I like to make backgrounds myself...it is fun to see how you put your backgrounds to use on your cards.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! Glad you enjoyed today’s post! I had fun trying to pick different style stamps for the different prints!

      Delete
  6. Wow, love them all!! your backgrounds are amazing!
    I need to watch some photo tutorials on how to make these, love my gelli plate but it always turns out not this nice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Sandra! I experimented quite a bit with these!

      Delete
  7. Fantastic cards, thanks for sharing the techniques

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’ve never seen a gelli plate in action but you make it sound fun. Love the backgrounds you made. Truly enhances the stamped images. Thank you for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Jacque! It is fun - try it sometime!

      Delete
  9. Your cards are just wonderful! I need more practice with my gelli plate... LOL! I'm so looking forward to your GIU week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wilma! So glad you enjoyed today’s post!

      Delete
  10. Just stunning cards!!! Love your backgrounds, colors, and the stamps you chose. Just marvelous, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kind friend! Had a lot of fun creating these!

      Delete
  11. Wow!! So stunning!! I love the fabulous colors! So excited for your week, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So beautiful!! I love them both!
    Can't wait to see the rest of your week, Joyce!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are all so beautiful Joyce! I especially love the blue cards with the diamond pane backgrounds! Stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dorothy! These were fun to put together!

      Delete
  14. OMG! All your backgrounds are AMAZING! What beautiful creations! Can't wait for the rest of your week! New follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks so much, Meghan! So happy you enjoy my efforts!

      Delete
  15. These are beautiful! I love how you made the background for the paper piecing. I too need to get that gelli plate out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathie! This was a very fun exercise to do! I’m a huge YouTube consumer... gets my creative side itching to come out! Get that plate out!

      Delete
  16. These are fantastic Joyce! I love your projects, the color combinations are perfect! I need to get a gelli plate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was a lot of fun creating these! Glad you liked them... thank you!

      Delete
  17. Beautiful cards. Those backgrounds add so much depth and interest. Can’t wait to see the inspiration daily this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Suz! Appreciate the feedback!

      Delete
  18. Your cards are always amazing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous cards Joyce! You never disappoint us! Looking forward to the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are wonderful cards. Great way to showcase backgrounds! You know I love your style girl!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are some wonderful backgrounds and it is a great idea to use some for the paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... funny how I remembered I made that piece. Wasn’t sure it would work, but it did! Thanks, Denise!

      Delete
  22. I love your coloring!! I have the same girl but I have never seen her in this way! Your coloring is beautiful! However, I have never done a jelly plate. Wow, what a stunning way to go. I LOVE the As We Go Along Bouquet on that blue background <3 <3 PS Have a great GIU Week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, thank you so much! Glad you enjoyed these!

      Delete
  23. So beautiful my friend Very inspirational. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. So excited to see your creations this week! Love all the cards you produce especially all layering of various elements on your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Always enjoy your beautiful works of art. Love how you paper pieced the last one; her hat is gorgeous! All of the BG's are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becca, thank you very much! I was lucky the paper piecing turned out!

      Delete
  26. You're so incredibly talented! Just WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you are too kind! I’m still learning and playing! Thank you though!

      Delete
  27. Great post, smart to paper piece in the last card. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lightbulb moment! Aha... something I can do with that piece! Thank you, Linda!

      Delete
  28. So impressed by your mixed media aesthetic! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I want all of your cards! You have such an amazing talent! The colors are so gorgeous put together!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These cards are awesome! Love your backgrounds and the stamps you selected were perfect. Congrats on your GIU week...can’t wait to see what else you create!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love your better with friends card. Your Angie girl card is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am trying not to drool.....LOL I love your eye for color- your backgrounds are beautiful! I love the coloring of flowers and really love your paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You're creations just amaze me!!! I love your techniques and creativity!! Keep them coming!!! Beautiful cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. these took my breath away when I first saw thing in the FB groups! So Damn GOOD!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! You cards really blow me away. So much thought & technique goes into each one and they are beautiful. <3

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love, love, love these! I've never tried using a gelli plate but I can see it must be a lot of fun! All 3 cards are gorgeous, but my eye keeps going back to the first one. Painting in the shadow behind the flowers makes them pop right off the page! I got here just today and have gone through your week from day 5 to Day 1. I am truly envious of your beautiful paper supply! Thanks for sharing a gorgeous week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jan! Glad you liked these gel prints and cards... they are fun, more on the artsy side, but fun!

      Delete
  37. Love the girl stamp! I love the color combo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Regina! Glad you liked the girl card!

      Delete