Monday, January 14, 2019

Butterfly Snow Flakes

Responding to another color combination selection, I pulled out my tube watercolors and started inking up a watercolor panel with pale violet and mint colors. I painted the colors on my matte and dipped the paper into them, drying in between. I then pulled out a stencil and painted through it a slightly darker color hue of each using both sides of the stencil. I then searched thru my stash and hit on the butterfly and sentiment from Unity’s December 2018 KOTM and the snowflake from the 10/18 SMAK kit. I inked up the snowflake using mint and violet archival inks and stamped all over. I finally pulled out a Brea Reese gold paste and used a stencil to add gold color all over to match up with the color combo.



Turning to the image, I inked up the image using the combo inks above onto another piece of water color paper. I used the watercolors, Art C gold ink, gold Perfect Pearls and some Prima Metallic pastels to paint the image. This time, for a change, I painted the background with the glittery gold. When I paired the image with the background paper, it was too white against the darker gold image. I decided to try adding color to the background by painting around the snowflakes and adding darker hues around the paste. I also added flecks of paint to the background.


I then decided to try making a card with the two panels. I stamped the sentiment on coordinating paper with violet ink and embossed it with a multi color Stampendous powder. I ended up pulled the pieces together with pearls, crystals and ribbon.


If I were to redo this one, I would pay more attention to the background so that the beautiful snowflakes would show up better. I’d also work more on the layout. In reality, I was experimenting with colors, the stencil, and stamps, and not really sure if I would end up using what I put together. But, in playing with my pieces, I had fun pulling this happy accident together. Not the best design, but it’s pretty, shiny and interesting!


Till next time, happy crafting!



2 comments: