Thursday, October 28, 2021

Painted Poinsettia Card #1

 I’ve been inspired by all the wonderfully talented crafters who are doing their own paintings for cards and decided to try my hand at making a home made card myself! Because this was a test run, I used a cheaper watercolor paper to hand draw the imperfect poinsettia image using a Derwent yellow watercolor pencil. I then used my watercolors to fill in the image pretty quickly, thinking I needed to see if I could make a quite a few of these in a decent amount of time. I used a Derwent black pen to add some definition to the image. I then went over some areas with my Prismacolor pencils. I decided to add a little stamping detail to the background using a stamp from an older Unity Kit of the Month (Halo Dirty) and a red Archival ink. To complete the image, I used the sentiment from Unity’s Conspiracy of Love kit using Black Versafine ink. I love this sentiment, from Unity, as it so clearly expresses the feelings I have when sending cards out. And the format is very elegant!

I really didn’t spend any time fixing problems or improving the image. So, instead to minimize the quality issues, I just sprinkled, using the top only, Dina Wakely’s Gloss spray in Gilt onto the card. I ended up with a huge glob of paint and decided I kind of liked it and created 4 more globs (kind of mimics use of sequins or crystals as gloss sprays are shiny). And then I used a Dylusions white spray to do the same over the image. I die cut the image and found a paper pack, Simple Village Rustic Christmas by Simple Stories, that I could use to back the image. 



Overall, it didn’t turn out too bad. I definitely need to work on watercolor skills again as I am rusty after taking such a long break because of wrist surgeries. Also, I’d like to fine tune my use of pens… a little less heavy handed. Appreciate any other advice you could give!

Well, enough on this one… stay tuned for another post on ATCs!

No comments:

Post a Comment