Saturday, October 17, 2020

Winter Moose Scene

I’m not sure why I felt the need to create this card... but it was calling me to do it! This card has tons of texture and I went a little crazy on it. I used patterned paper (Bo Bunny), gesso, Daler Rowney acrylic paints, Art Anthology (AA) media, various embossing powders (Seth Apter Baked Texture, Stampendous, and Wow), Prismacolor pencils, Gansai Tambi watercolors, and Archival Coffee and Stampin Up Taupe inks,

Starting with a 6x6 teal patterned paper (can see scroll detail peeking through in top left and bottom right corners), I white gessoed the paper. I then added with a spatula and my finger, at the bottom, AA Mermaid and, at the top, AA Cayman and white acrylic all over. When I was satisfied a had the beginning of a sky and hill, I embossed the fence from Unity’s beautiful SMAK kit, Winter Wild (10/17) I used a Stampendous Powder from a kit. I added white acrylic and Raw Sienna to build out the impression of a snowy fence and later added AA’s Walnut Sorbet (which has a slight sparkle to it). 



Next, I pulled out the trees from the kit and created a mask for the hill. I stamped and embossed twice, moving the stamp in between and using 2 different powders (a patina and a teal) for color and texture differentiation. I also added white acrylic on some for a snowy effect. 

I then turned to the left side of the picture and first added white and Raw Sienna painted lines. I then stamped and embossed the wheel tracks stamp from the kit using another embossing powder. Turned out okay... not great, and added more white paint and sienna. I decided to try to make a road into the hill and used both the AA paint and my watercolors.






I then stamped out the moose from the kit with Archival Coffee and used my pencils to add dimension to the image. I fussy cut it out and then realized I probably should have reversed the direction of the hill and fence as I didn’t want to cover up the fence. So, to salvage it, I decided to add a sentiment in the middle and ended up using a die. I pulled a stamp from Unity’s Winter Blessings kit and used the Taupe ink with it. Again, I backed it with a Bo Bunny paper scrap I had and created a second inner layer by diecutting an in between size and embossing the paper. I then attached the moose head to that.

After looking at it more... I decided to paint in my own fence and add the sentiment and moose on foam strips. I spattered the moose and background heavily with white paint. I cut the paper to fit an A6 sized Kraft card and called it done.





Let me know what you think... does the moose look wonky hanging out in the middle or okay? How do you think it turned out?

If nothing else, I had so much fun putting this one together! I absolutely think the Unity kits used are some of the best in their whole line of Christmas/winter themed kits! If you are not following me and enjoy my crafty efforts, please click on follow or add your email to keep updated! 

Well, hope you enjoyed my journey... till next time, happy crafting!


7 comments:

  1. Your talent!!!!! This is incredibly beautiful.

    Linda Abel

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I’m not ever sure how to use parts of people of animals. LOL

    You have a special touch with your art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing card, Joyce! The detail and texture is wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the receiver appreciates it! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete