Monday, April 27, 2020

Brave Canvas

Been watching mixed media artists on YouTube and was inspired to try using some stamps from Unity’s April 2020 SMAK kit, Head Up, Me Friend on an 8x10 canvas.

I began, by tearing up papers and collaging them onto the canvas using gel medium. Once it was covered and dry, I then went over the paper edges with white gesso to smooth out the texture a bit. I then began adding yellow, gold and emerald paints, using a combination of my fingers and stiff brushes. I then stamped the flower stamp several times on yellow tissue paper using Versafine ink. . I cut down the images and again used gel medium to collage them onto to the canvas. I actually used opposite sides of the tissue to get mirror images and extend the stamp length.

Once that was all dried, I added more color using my finders again and stencils. I also used a brayer painting a side of it to add a little more white (white gesso) to lighten up the center area. I used a couple more background stamps as well with red and green Stazon inks. I actually tried to build up the background layers and added another stencil with an antique gold Nuvo crackle paste. I then pulled out some spray inks, and spattered red and green drops all over. I also tried to add green drips from the top and bottom.



I embossed the flower and leaves again on watercolor paper and added Spectrum Noir glitter inks. I fussy cut those out. I glued those on to the canvas. I then stamped three sentiments from the kit in different ink colors onto the remaining tissue paper, fussy cut them out, and again, adhered those with gel medium. I add

Once everything was dried, I used white gel pen on the bottom sentiment and outlined everything with a charcoal pencil, smudging the lines with my fingers. I also went around the canvas edges with my pastel chalks in black, red and green.


I didn’t really distress this too much, as I really wanted bright colors to add some positivity and lightness to the message. Let me know what you think. I don’t really do these often enough to be proficient, but the process, besides being very messy, certainly seems to focus my attention away from current events.


No comments:

Post a Comment