Thursday, March 19, 2020

Unity March 2020 SMAK Kit Girl

Sorry I’ve been away for awhile... current events threw me as, I’m sure, they did everyone! I’m in a Shelter in Place county, and just recently slipped into the senior isolation group category too. My son and his family, bless his soul, has decided to quarantine me away from them! And my husband is working on the other side of the country and shouldn’t return anytime soon... given we are in a hot spot. Also, I have a very analytical mind with strong management tendencies (used to be in charge of large organizations), so until I learned everything I could and saw strong actions being kickstarted I couldn’t relax. But, I think all facets of this great and industrious country are going in the right direction, so I am finally relaxing. So... this card....

When I saw the woman stamp in Unity’s March 2020 SMAK kit, Growth is a Process, it first reminded me of the old McCall and Simplicity sewing pattern kits. So, going with that I realized I had the perfect paper to match with it, Authentique’s Stitches paper pad. For this card, I ended up using 3 papers from the pad. I stamped the woman using Archival Cornflower Blue ink onto the pink patterned paper and colored her in with my Prismacolor pencils. I wanted to complement the picture in the background, so I took advantage of the plaid pattern and augmented the shirt with blue squares and created a shadow. I then just had fun piecing everything together, cutting up a stitch pattern paper to make borders and backgrounds and liberally using a scallop scissors (I never pull that one out). I did use a darker blue scrap paper to back pieces. I added a metal ruler, twine, a button, enamel dots and pink fringe to add to the feel. Also fussy cut out “McCall” from the paper... so fun!

I stamped in 2 ink colors and clear embossed this sentiment from the kit, because a better day is coming! Meanwhile, if you sew... maybe this will inspire you to do some! Funny, I liked to try sewing clothes when I was young, but I invariably sewed backs to fronts and ended up pulling stitches out 9 times out of 10! But my Mom sewed many of her clothes, so I used to love going fabric and pattern shopping with her! Fun memory!


Hope you enjoyed this trip down memory lane, take good care, keep your distance and stay safe! Happy crafting (or sewing) till next time!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post. I use to make clothes for my kids, mostly dresses for my daughter and then she got older and we needed clothes from stores, even some brand names! My son told us last we that we needed to lay low, I am now 65. Fortunately, our company is letting us work from home. Great card and I am going to “study” it more!

    Linda Abel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do need to lay low and I’m the same age! But go outside and get in the sun, if you get any! Yeah, it was fun reminiscing while creating this card! Thanks for stopping by, Linda, and take care!

      Delete