Saturday, November 23, 2019

Picket Fence Christmas Poinsettia Star

Been admiring this stamp and the beautiful work I’ve seen done with it by the pros... so, I finally broke down and bought the Picket Fence Studio Christmas Poinsettia Star stamp. It came today and after eyeing it all afternoon I finally couldn’t resist playing, creating a more impressionist painting was a real challenge for me!

I started by cutting down a piece of Arches Cold Pressed Watercolor paper. I stamped the poinsettia using a combo of Distress Tattered Rose, and some pink and red archival inks. I then used a large paint brush to create broad strokes and varied my technique between laying down a wet wash and just painting directly on the petals, always skipping petals to avoid bleed between. I used a combo of reds from my Schmincke paint set. As I worked around the petals, I ended up circling back several times on each petal. After I was finished, I turned to my Prismacolor pencils to add a little more color and a black pen for more definition. I then went back and added several layers of green paint, adding a darker color around the edges. I then pulled out the products in the pic below to add spatters all over, drying in between. Finally, I used Posca pens to add more dots and add gold and white dots to the flower center.




For a sentiment, I pulled out Gina K Designs lovely Christmas Script set as I believe this card is staying close to home! I stamped and white embossed the sentiment on black card stock and cut it down. I used an A6 sized white card base for this one and backed the image with black paper. To compete the card I just added black Prima crystals.


Hard to tell right now, as it’s late and I’ve been looking at it for several hours, but I think I did alright by this stamp. It was certainly a lot of fun to paint!




Thanks for stopping by, and, a reminder, if haven’t already and you’re interested in following my art journey, leave your email on the right or click follow. As always, I’m interested in feedback, especially critical advice. Feel free to comment.

Till next time, happy crafting!

1 comment: