Monday, October 21, 2019

Quick and Easy Skates Card

Decided to try making a simple vintage card using Unity’s plaid and ice skate images from the 10/19 SMAK kit. I was inspired by all the plaid cards being posted and I do so need to keep building my holiday cards!

So, I began by pulling out a red card panel and my Misti. I lined up the image and panel ensuring the lines were vertical and stamped the bottom half of the panel. Trying a variation of what I learned from watching Unity videos, I stamped the plaid image with black ink and placed my magnets along the edges of the panel and pulled it out to clear heat emboss the image. I then carefully turned the paper around and embossed it again on the other half of the paper. Now, it didn’t create a mirror image, so lines don’t “line up”, but I think it looked good enough to be used as background paper.


I then stamped the ice skates using the same technique, as this time, I used 2 different inks on the image, clear embossing both sides. I first used black on the skates, heat embossed, and then, green on the pines. I used a poor quality watercolor paper, but there was really not a lot of coloring to be done! I added some shading, berries and used a black pen to darken some of the pines. Finally, I spatter some red watercolor and went around the edges lightly with a red ink and then a black soot oxide.

I die cut the paper and attached it to the die cut red plaid paper. For additional interest, I added die cut pine needles created by using a green scrap paper and a Poppy pine die cut and some red crystals. I wrapped black organza ribbon around both papers and mounted it on a Kraft card base. Finally, I stamped a sentiment from the 9/19 KOTM and backed that with black paper.


This was a quick and simple card to make and I think it turned out okay. If I did this again, I would use vintage photo to distress the paper, not bother with embossing, and use better paper so I could add more details to the skates. Well, that’s it for today, till next time, happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment