Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Experimental Poinsettia Card

UPDATE: since I’m getting asked this question a lot... I used Iced Spruce Oxide to shadow the image and sentiment first with the brush. Then I painted Evergreen Bough lightly on the petals and Bundled Sage on the leaves. I went over the sentiment with the brush again with Evergreen Bough... just over the center area.

After having watched a bunch of videos recently, I was inspired by a Gina Krupsky video technique she used to display her Stamptember Gina K stamp (which I was too late to purchase :( ). However, I remembered my 9/19 Unity KOTM also had a beautiful poinsettia arrangement I could try this technique out on. I used a sentiment from an older KOTM that worked great. The other substitutes I used were Distress Oxide inks for shadowing and also to add watercolor to the image (instead of watercolor brush pens) and a very old white Stamping Up embossing powder. Another difference... I love mint colors for Christmas!


I started by white embossing the poinsettia stamp onto Bristol paper. I then used a Picket Fence brush to add background color to the image. After shadowing around the image I used a lightly dampened paper towel to wipe away any ink residue. I lightly then added colors to the flower and leaves, darker in the center and lightening to adding no color on the edges. I left the centers, adding white Posca to the centers where needed... I knew I was either going to add glitter or something else to the centers. I then die cut the card front out.


When I was done, I did the same to the sentiment, except I also added another darker color to the center of the sentiment to make sure it stood out. Finally, I added Stickles dots to the flower centers and around the card front and some frosty Nuvo drops. Tomorrow, I’ll attach it to a card.


Lessons... be very careful embossing... might need some new white “clean” embossing powder, be more careful watercoloring and fix placement of image. I would move it a little off the card front, die cut with a smaller die and maybe back with mint paper.


Let me know what you think! Be sure to add your email if you want updates from my blog or follow me! Thanks for stopping by and till next time, happy crafting!


13 comments: