Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Growing In Unity Day Two

Going in a completely different direction, today, I decided to have some fun with Washi tape backgrounds (need to use some of this stuff up!). I had picked up some pretty Park Lane and Firefly rolls and started to think about my Unity stash, and Voila! I found some pretty good matches.


I started by first pulling out a piece of lightweight cardstock cut down a bit. I layered some of the tapes diagonally across the entire sheet. I then trimmed off some of the excess and die cut the paper down. For this card, I pulled out the girl from the 4/17 KOTM kit and a sentiment from the 2/19 KOTM kit. After stamping her, I used watercolor pencils and some distress inks to color her face and hair. To match the shiny Washi tape, I used Nuvo Shimmer Powders (the only 2 I own). These powders are very shimmery and can be multi colored if you don’t combine the grains. I ended up sprinkling some of both and spraying with water around the portrait. (Although, I did mute it after with white acrylic paint). I die cut her and created a frame out of gray paper that I also used to back the Washi paper. I completed the card by adding ribbon and die cut arrows. 




For the second card, I found an Ocean themed Washi set and paired that with the She Mermaid Kit.  This time to reduce the background competition (these tapes are very vibrant and have metallic silver bits), I staggered placing the Washi on the paper horizontally leaving white strips. Wanting the mermaid to stand out, I took a watercolor scrap and layered on some of the blue powder. I also added an ArtC Indigo ink and a Brea Reese Violet Glitter ink by tapping droplets onto the paper. I spritzed with water each time. I finally used a Wow Silver Glitter Embossing powder (never tried it before) and stamped just the tail part into the paper, fussy cutting it out after. I added more color to parts of the tail. I clear embossed the top half of her using black ink. I used the same powder and inks to add color and finally added a silver pen in spots. I combined her parts, embossed the sentiment, and added crystals and crystal flourishes to complete the card.





This was a fun exercise to do, and, again, I think, the backgrounds really set off the stamps nicely. Hope you liked this pair... see you tomorrow!

72 comments:

  1. Love your work! Totally outside of my box. Thank you for sharing your talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Julissa, so not true! I’m a huge fan of yours and your style! In fact, I like your version of the cards better than mine... I had just already completed them before I saw yours! But thank you!

      Delete
  2. I have the same ocean washi tape that I totally purchased to go with my Unity Mermaids, but haven't used it yet. Your cards are such inspiration and I love how you put the white in between to tone it down. The first card is really beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both are beautiful! I love your ideas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Both cards are gorgeous, but I especially love the mermaid! Thanks for the idea for using washi tape as a background! I have quite a bit, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilma, thank you very much! Yes, and I need to use mine more... this helped!

      Delete
  5. Absolutely beautiful! And so very great use of your Washi tape!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are both lovely, and I need to put my washi to use, too! Thanks for a great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I must say... why do we keep buying it? I need to use mine more!

      Delete
  7. Just stunning my friend. I love the creativity you had with the washi tapes. Your coloring is amazing on both cards. And that mermaid is fantastic. Just beautiful cards!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend! Had fun attacking these projects!

      Delete
  8. OH MY GOODNESS! I love your use of color! The mermaid takes my breath away, I love the background and then the piecing!! Beautiful!! What a great use of washi too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, thank you! I think we all (me) need to learn more techniques to incorporate it into our cards!

      Delete
  9. Love the color and shimmer on the mermaid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this stamp! GORGEOUS COLORS and I love the sequin accents too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both cards are beautiful! Cool way to use your washi!! I especially love the silver shine on your mermaid!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy! Not sure about you, but I’ve got a big stash of it!

      Delete
  12. These are gorgeous! I need to get creative like this with my washi and stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fabulous way to use washi! I always tell myself I'm going to use it then I don't very often. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vanessa! I thought we could all use a reminder to use up our Washi stash!

      Delete
  14. BEEEEEUUUUUUUUUUTIFUL Mermaid cards! Adding the Washi tape just make them look even more amazing! I also really love the color combinations too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, Cindy, Cindy! Thank you so very much... your post made me smile!

      Delete
  15. These cards are very inspiring! Love them. Great idea on washi tape!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful creations! I love the backgrounds you created! I especially love the gorgeous mermaid!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful creations. I specially love the mermaid dress up 😂. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say Myra... I like shiny things! Glad you liked my mermaid! Thank you!

      Delete
  18. Beautiful projects, as always. Fantastic way to use washi tape! I have a bunch but my mind goes blank on how to use it so it looks good on a card..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phaline, thank you very much! Hope my Washi cards gave you some ideas!

      Delete
  19. Gorgeous cards - hard to pick which is my "favorite"! Great use of the washi tape, I really need to get more creative with all of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Two gorgeous cards! Wonderful cards! I love your backgrounds and the fabulous coloring you did!!! Beautiful cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shelly... glad you liked my Washi cards!

      Delete
  21. Love the mermaid card and the Washington tape. Would never thought of using it as a background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the complements. Hope you got some ideas on how to use your Washi tape!

      Delete
  22. These are both just gorgeous and a great way to use up some washi. That mermaid's tail is pretty stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Becca! So you liked my sparkly mermaid tale... I do love bling!

      Delete
  23. Wow! What everyone else said... amazing! Thank you for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous idea to use washi, Joyce!! And they paired up so well with the stamps you chose!! Fabulous cards!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! what a wonderful mash up of patterns and designs! You have such a way with those things! I love your creations!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are incredible cards. I love the way you used your washi tapes in different ways and I love that you used so many different products but combined them perfectly. Beautiful. And that mermaid - stunning. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri! Glad you liked my Washi designs!

      Delete
  27. These are pretty cool! I need to use up more of my Washi too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. when i grow up I want to make cards like yours!! Stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love these cards. The first girl is so flowing and dreamy. The mermaid one is great with the siver lined images!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rachel! Love how you pick up my vibes!

      Delete
  30. Wow! Perfect matches on the Washi tape, Joyce. These are both gorgeous creations!

    ReplyDelete