Saturday, December 29, 2018

2019 Crafty Resolutions and Unity Card Challenge Cards

Not sure about you, but I, definitely, have developed a few new resolutions to follow when crafting this next year. As I scurried to get out birthday and Christmas cards this month, I was wishing I had followed just a few of these rules throughout the past year! So, here goes (and, really, you all already know this, but I’m still catching up in my second year of carding):
1) Keep the back of cards “clean”... create a space to complete cards clear of paints and inks, and adhere the created cardface as the last step, if possible!
2) Create, at a minimum, 2 cards in the same style. I’ve done that with the cards below where I restamped in a similar style. This could also be accomplished by creating larger backgrounds that could be cut down for multiple cards. (I cannot do mass production, just not in me - easily bored!)
3) Be more conscious of card weight and standardize on size.
4) Make more birthday cards and a few other standard event cards.

So, keeping these in mind, I had decided to join in on Unity’s Color Ink Challenge, when another Unie, the Squirrel of Judgement, layered a specific color combo challenge on the table (see pic). LOVE THE COLORS!


So, I then started thinking about stamps to use and happened upon the 2 butterflies (1 solid and 1 lined) and a sentiment from the 8/17 KOTM. I wanted to use the 2 stamps with generational stamping using only 2 colors, Abandoned Coral and Weathered Wood. I stamped diagonally with the two stamps starting from opposing sides. I did have some missteps and had to restart, allowing me to create 2 different cards. I also got the bright idea to try to create a background paper using white and silver embossing powder and then apply the ink as a watercolor. I noticed with generational stamping I could achieve better effects by doing it freehand. I tend to re-ink the stamp automatically with my Misti.

The first card was more what I had envisioned and I used the created embossed background in it. I used a whitish Kraft paper as the cardbase and backing.


The second card was a happy mistake as I wanted to emboss the key butterfly and sentiment with silver ink and started by using the white powder instead. So, I had to cover up the original sentiment with a tag, but I think that’s okay. I, luckily, happened upon the coral colored paper, a silver card and grey paper, that I could use to frame the card. The butterflies were a little too dark on this one, so, offsetting with colored paper helped to make them pop more.


I’m pretty happy with how these turned out. They may or may not totally meet the challenge guidelines, but I’m still happy! Plus, I’m also very pleased that I ended up with 2 cards, they are lightweight, and I kept the backs clean. I also think they can be used as birthday cards. So, so far, I’ve got a head start on 2019. Now for some personal resolutions, hmmm.... have to think about those...back to the drawing board!

Well, feel free to share your goals for next year, as, who knows, I may add a few more of yours to my list. Happy crafting till next time!


4 comments:

  1. Good resolutions...you inspire me to do more with what I have in my Crafty Space. Just beautiful 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, thanks for the feedback! Glad to know I inspired you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Mary, thank you! It’s funny, that if I hadn’t tried the challenge, I wouldn’t have created these cards. A reminder to step out of one’s comfort zone, I guess!

      Delete