Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Another September 2017 Unity KOTM Card!

Decided to try using the large flower stamps in this kit this morning. As I was posting a previous card, Gaylynn Martling, a very talented design team member for Unity, also happened to post a card this morning. I loved it and told her I that was going to try casing it. She used a foiling technique and, since I don’t own a foiling machine, I thought I’d try using my Nuvo Gilding Flakes instead. I forgot I had picked them up in a Tonic techniques class last year.

So, to start, I cut a piece of Canson Bristol paper down to a size slightly larger 5x7” (these flower stamps are large). I used my Misti to stamp the large stamp in the corners and then masked off the flower and used one of the smaller stamps to the side. I used a red archival ink on the flowers and then stamped the flower bud stem using a green archival ink. I then pulled out the Distress inks in the pic below and started painting the flowers, one color at a time going between dark and light colors. Once I finished painting the images, I then splattered some of the paint around. 

I did a little research on glues to use with gilding flakes and decided to try a glitter glue. I used a stiff acrylic brush to dab glue around the card and placed the copper flakes onto those areas. I used a round blending brush to dab the flakes into the glue and then, using swirling motions, brush the excess off. Worked pretty good!

To finish the card, I stamped a sentiment from the kit in black. I colored the edges with the same Distress inks and the oxide, Fired Brick, to deepen the edge. I added sequins. I also used a brown pen and brown pencil to deepen the shadows on the images and white and gold paint pens for the flower centers.

I think it looks varied enough from Gaylynn’s card to not be a direct duplicate. Hope you like it! Happy crafting till next time!





2 comments:

  1. This card is a work of art. I am so impressed with your creations and talent. I would frame it! If you ever feel like sending me a card, I would LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlene, thank you so much! I am toying with keeping this one! PM me your address and I’ll send you a card!

      Delete