Thursday, May 17, 2018

Graduation Card

Update at the bottom...2nd card!

Was inspired today by an Echo Noble video to use a couple background stamps to create a card on top of a pretty created paper. I, in no way, came close to her card, nor did I use the same mediums, stamps or technique. But, at least, it inspired me to do something different. Again, I had to play with my shiny new things, in this case, a white/pink/gold shimmer mist from Tattered Angels and the Delicata Rose Gold ink. I pulled out some leftover My Mind’s Eye Blush paper which has shiny Rose Gold accents throughout the pad, and for this reason, went with navy and pink as a second color.

To start, I sprayed watercolor paper with the mist and dried it. I then took the large stamp from Unity’s 6/17 SMAK kit, my Misti and clear embossing powder and embossed the doilies (?) image in several areas. I then took Chipped Sapphire Oxide (which I wish I hadn’t used as it creates a dull, chalky finish) and stamped the butterflies from the 3/16 SMAK kit in a couple spots. I then tried to add pink to the paper (Worn Lipstick), first, by adding color to the butterflies, and then adding pink and blue spatter. Another reason not to use oxide as the blue bled a little. To darken the pink I used a little pink Brea Reese glitter ink.

Once dried, I embossed the sentiment from the same 6/17 SMAK Kit using Memento Paris Dusk ink. To darken the navy lines, I used a dark navy Sharpie. I don’t think it’s advisable to emboss on top of already embossed images. It works but is slightly choppy. I added a rose gold net ribbon with a narrower navy ribbon and bow on one side. I added pink, navy and rose gold dots.

I used Unity’s Special Wishes sentiment kit for the inside, added a little Rose Gold color and added blush colored sticky strips. Finally, I stamped my new “Created by” stamp on the back of the card (from Magnuson Stamps)! The dog stamp reminds me of my little Havanese pups, so it seemed appropriate for me! The card is pretty and sparkly in person and I learned a few things from this card - need to improve placement of secondary stamp, use non-water based paints for images and don’t double emboss! Hope you enjoy this one and have a great day!

Update: redid card quickly with following changes: 1) non-waterbased inks 2) better placement of butterflies 3) added 2 more background stamps from 1 5/18 SMAK kit, LOL JoJa kit, and sentiment from 7/17 KOTM, 3) no embossing! 4) Spectrum Noir Glitter pens and 5) different ribbon and plain navy paper backing! Like it better, for sure! See originals below the new card!







2 comments:

  1. Love the concept. I'm going to try the layer stamping process.Thanks for sharing that Oxide inks are not what should be used for this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia, thank you very much! I redid this card, addressing Lessons Learned and updated my blog! Think it came out better! I must say it’s also fun and different to do this technique!

      Delete