Thursday, March 29, 2018

Echo Noble’s Tile Case Study

Today I was inspired by a card posted on Unity’s Show and Tell FB group created by the very talented Echo Noble.  She created 3 cards using a bone folder and scoring board to create the impression of tiles and then stamped on it. Very creative and a very cool look! 

So, I decided I needed to try this technique and record what I’d done for future use. I happen to have a copper back plate above my stove with a diamond pattern. So, to begin with, I cut a 5x5” paper and turned it diagonally on the score board. I proceeded to score every inch and turned it again and score it again every inch. I then took a black Derwent Inktense pencil and ran it down all the scores as my grout is dark. I then sponged Spiced Marmalade, Vintage Photo and Black Soot with a touch of Forest  Moss into each diamond alternating dark and light tiles (as mine is). I did this rather quickly and to help I cut 3 sides of a 1 inch square into paper to produce a mask. After this was done I re-scored the paper to make sure I hadn’t lost the impressions. I then took the flower from the March 2018 KOTM and stamped it delicately on the paper. I didn’t get all the lines but for the sake of using this as a case study...it was good enough. I then took some more Derwent pencils and filled in the flower keeping away from the tile edges. I think it turned out pretty neat and created a frame for it and used pencils on that. 

For the sentiment, from the November 2015 KOTM, I took a corner stamp that I bought in a swap, I think from the 9/11 KOTM, and stamped it on the paper to create a frame using the same paper I used to frame the tiles with Forest Moss ink. I then stamped the sentiment in black archival ink and used some watercolors to try to darken the frame to match the tile colors.

To finish the card I mounted all components, added a border at the top, some enamel dots, and ribbon and yarn with a button. Not one of my greatest cards, but I think it demonstrates the look of a tile background, so I’m happy! Let me know your thoughts or if you have questions!


5 comments: