Saturday, February 24, 2018

Build the Life Card

This card was inspired by the fact I purchased 2 of Unity’s Build the Life kit, somehow...just not sure how that could possibly happen (eye roll)! So I posted it in a swap group last night. Thinking about the kit, I kept thinking how much I love it, but haven’t used it yet. I was saving it, which seemed silly. So, today, I decided to try making a card showcasing the large background stamp. I’d watched a video lately demonstrating using multiple color inks on the same stamp, so I decided to try that. Also, I’d watched some videos recently using stencils and also applying ink with reverse stamping. I decided to make a make a background with this method using the same inks, plus an oxide. So, here’s the details...

I first gathered 4 Memento inks (2 pinks, a red and green), inked up the stamp with all 4, and stamped on scrap paper. I was pleased with the results. Taking that paper I matched the pink colors to an Echo Park Be Mine paper pack (pink and grey). I ended up stamping the stamp on a plain paper from the pack. I then used that same paper to create the background. I took a Hero Arts stencil and some cosmetic sponges and sponged the colors through the stencil. Deciding I needed to add some grey, I took my craft mat, stamped Black Soot Oxide on the mat, spritzed it with water, and laid the stencil down on the mat trying to pick up ink on the solid parts. I then overlaid the inked stencil on the already inked paper aligning the feather shapes and smoothing the stencil over the paper with my hands. Again, I liked how it turned out, but I think next time, I’ll try to leave less white space.

To add a bottom border, I used one of the pink inks and a lace stamp from the Unity kit, Straight Laced. I inked it, applying a little of the green to the edge of the stamp and stamped on the same paper.

To put the base card together, I used a cream card base, a grey paper and the lace border. I decided I wanted to use a green ribbon and washi tape on the side. Noticing a pale green color in the ribbon I used Twisted Citron on the edges of all the papers to coordinate colors.

I backed the image with a striped paper from the pack and the grey paper, using a die cut on the striped and fancy corner punch on the grey. I rounded the corner of the image. Wanting a little more definition of the butterfly in the stamp, I used a grey pen the the image. I fussy cut the word You and the hand from the paper pack and applied them to the image frame. I also added a sticky butterfly from the pack and some crystals. 

Next the sentiment, which, I stamped using the green ink on a lined paper from the pack, and outlined the letters with a grey pen. I fussy cut the sentiment and added a fussy cut grey paper as backing.

I pulled the card together with green sequins and a metal butterfly. It’s a pretty busy card, but I think I like how it turned out given the use of 2 new techniques. I may try using the stamp again soon with an all black image, which I think will be pretty sharp!

Hope you enjoyed reading about this card! Have a great day and enjoy crafting!








No comments:

Post a Comment