Tuesday, October 4, 2022

{BYSHC} Sketch Challenge 27

 Welp, made my 2nd, 3rd and 4th 2022 holiday cards! I’m on a roll! So, ended up making 3 similar cards on my “second” holiday card for Sketch Challenge 27. I realized as I was taking pictures of my first rendition that I had attached the panels wrong! So …I started over! And, actually, I wanted to try another technique to create the image and I had leftover paper I could use!


So, to start off with, these cards were first inspired by a very pretty holiday paper I received years ago in a magazine. It’s the bottom layer on right side of both cards. For some reason, I was just fascinated and in love with it. Without being shimmery, the colors and shading used created that illusion. So, then I started pulling out distress oxides I thought I could use to recreate the tones of colors in the paper. I used Wilted Violet, Chipped Sapphire, Blueprint Sketch and Tumbled Glass for all the cards, but with different techniques. I used a Brutus Monroe sparkling white embossing powder… that actually gave me some problems. And, finally, I used the Season of Joy kit from Simon Says Stamps.

For the first card, I used a smooshing technique on a mixed media paper, and over that, because I wanted a darker background,  I ink blended the inks onto the card. I think the combination of colors approximates the paper colors. I clapped my hands over the paper with water to create drops. I also spattered white acrylic ink over the paper. To create the snowy mounds, I used the same ink as well as Posca white pen. I had to go over the embossed parts as I found the powder flaked off or was not opaque enough. I used a bluish purple card base for this one. I added glue all over and sprinkled tiny silver stars onto it. I used a Spellbinders Joy die for the sentiment. When I was taking the picture, I noticed I layered the pieces wrong 😟.

For the second card, I copied a Tracy Evans technique, “brayering” the ink onto the card. Her latest video shows how to do that. I used the same water and ink spattering techniques. I also changed things up by embossing tracks from a Unity SMAK kit to create the hills. I filled in colors again with both the white inks and, this time, I also used white paint from my Kuretake Gansai Tambi paint kit. This time I die cut stars for embellishment and embossed a sentiment from the kit. The card base this time is a purplish blue. Again, the embellished image was problematic for me.

For the last card, I changed things up by using Bristol paper and Gina K fine detail white powder. Also, I had to resort to other papers but pretty much kept to the same palette with the addition of a little green. I used the Brayer again but also used ink blending with a torn paper to make the hills. I used a specialty white shimmer paper for one of the panels the stars and the Tonic die cut sentiment.

If at first you don’t succeed… well… you know what they say! That’s it for today, happy crafting!

1 comment:

  1. Your cards are beautiful....even your mistakes.😊

    ReplyDelete