Monday, March 8, 2021

Hello Gorgeous Card

Decided I needed to get my watercoloring on today! And I chose a flower stamp I’d used before, in a much different way, from the 4/18 KOM, Eyes of the Beholder. I used papers and the color palette from Mintay’s Lady paper pad for this card.

First attempt, in my early carding days:

I had pulled out this kit again recently and saw again the beautiful flowers buried in the background. After playing a bit with various options, I finally settled on the technique I’d use. I pulled out a sheet of hot press Arches paper and cut out 2 pieces. I also grabbed Ken Oliver’s Color Bursts in Alizarin Crimson and Lemon Yellow and my Schmincke watercolors. I mixed the 2 powders in a tray with a bit of water. Then I loosely painted stripes in first one color on my glass mat and laid the card down. I dried the card and did the same with the second color. I then painted a watered down blue green from my pan set to add a little duller color to the base. Once dried, I pulled out a Tim Holtz stencil, and Archival Library ink and added little squares in 3 areas. I then stamped the image using the same archival ink.

On the second paper I stamped the image again with Distress Antique Linen ink. I then used my watercolor set to paint the leaves and flowers. I didn’t fuss over the painting as I knew they would blend in with the whole larger image. I then fussy cut out the flowers and leaves. After laying the pieces over the background, I decided I needed to push back the background by painting over it with a watered down white gesso, effectively muting it a bit. 

I die cut the papers, used foam tape to adhere all the flower pieces and added a stamped sentiment from the Aging Gorgeously kit.


Hope you like this card. I have one rose blooming right now and all the others have gorgeous growth on them. Can’t wait! Till next time, happy crafting!

3 comments: