Tuesday, November 3, 2020

Thankful Polka Dot Orchard Sampler Card

Had a chance to play with Polka Dot Orchard’s October Sampler Kit, from Jessica Pickeral’s company. My favorite season is autumn because of the beautiful fall colors, fun holidays and the autumnal weather change... such a needed break from summer’s heat (and in my case, drought and fires).

I debated posting this card today, but regardless of outcomes, I am so thankful Election Day is here and all the political debates and ads can stop! I am so done with it all! So, indeed, I am thankful!

After watching a mixed media YouTube hop...all 12 videos, I just had to go back to this style... and, with a stencil, chipboards and those beautiful ribbons from the kit, it seemed destined! Also, I had just brought out some fall napkins and I was dying to try decoupaging a napkin card. 

So, I began by pulling out a Ranger mixed media A2 card front. I sprinkled some Primary Elements, Spiced Pumpkin, powder over the card and spritzed lightly with water and dried the card. After cutting out the section of napkin I would use, I pulled out Vicki Boutin’s Acrylic Matte Gel and liberally painted the area the napkin would cover. I adhered the napkin, again liberally painting over it with the gel to smooth out wrinkles. I then tore up pieces of the dictionary the kit’s components were wrapped in and decoupaged pieces of that onto the card the same way.



I thoroughly dried the card. I then added some floral ephemera pieces to the top corners using the matte gel. I then started adding white paint, cream paint and Crackling Campfire paint to the card using a brush and my fingers.  I added Raw Umber to the corners and outlined the image areas with a charcoal pencil and pen. Where needed I added a little more paint to the image. I then used the leaf stencil and added leafs using a BoBunny antique gold paste and outlined those as well, once dried.

Next I turned to the thankful chipboard and embossed it with an antique gold embossing powder. I then looked for scraps to back it with. I tried lots of combinations and settled on brown paper. Wasn’t happy with result so ended up using the acrylic Crackling Campfire to paint in the letters.

Turning back to the card, I darkened the edges, glued on 5 little leafs from the kit and added the ribbon. I decided to spice it up a little by glueing on a thick Ranger gold glitter in spots to both the card front and the sentiment. I attached the card front to a Kraft card base and added the sentiment.






Certainly, not your average card, it perfectly matches my aura today! Edgy, happy, thankful, and grateful on a unique autumn day! Hope you like the card and check out Polka Dot Orchard’s cute kits! Till next time, happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment