Monday, March 9, 2020

SMAK Bunny Card

Had fun today making this bunny card using 3 stamps from Unity Stamp Co.’s new March 2020 Growth is a Process SMAK Kit. This bunny... oh, my gosh! Made another video showing how I created the background garden which I’ll show at the bottom of the post.

I started with a piece of Bee watercolor paper, and using my Schmincke’s watercolors I laid down a wet on wet background and added leaf brushstrokes while the paper was damp. I added regular table salt while wet to pick up some of the pigment. I then dried the paper. After positioning the 2 tulip stalk stamps, I added my own hints of background tulips using muted colors. If you take a straight pigment and add the complementary color, it will muddy the color a bit which is what I wanted for the background flowers.

I then stamped the flowers from the kit using archival inks in reds and greens. I also used the grunge stamp to add the impression of grass. I added Gansai Tambi watercolors to the flowers as they are more opaque to bring those flowers forward and a little glitter ink, as I was already in the palette. Finally, I used gray, black and white pens for more definition. I stamped a sentiment from this kit and die cut the paper (and, no, it’s not a standard size). I wanted to make a collage card. I stamped and lightly added coordinating color to the bunny and then fussy cut it out. That bunny is perfect!


I used a new paper pack called Preserved Paper from DCWV for the top and bottom base layers. I then pulled out random papers, ephemera, Washi tape and twine. Everything is layered flat with the exception of the bunny, which has the twine behind it. I finished the card with more twine and coordinating enamel dots.


Must be my artsy background, but I I love interesting layered depths in cards. Unity’s SMAK kits are absolutely perfect for this as they usually contain multiple images, background stamps and a variety of sentiments you can pull from. What’s great about their memberships is the ability to buy older kits at half the price, plus the flat discount you get on every order. A truly great deal!

Well, done for the day, hope you like this card, and till next time, happy crafting! Now for the, again, very amateurish video (I will get better) - oh, oh, I redid the video editing! Hopefully it’s a bit better!





11 comments:

  1. This is just spectacular! Your video gives me so much inspiration. Love your talents. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julissa! Appreciate these kind words! And thanks for watching that poor video... I just did a take 2!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the video so we could see how you painted the tulips. I love your card!

    Linda Abel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you and thanks for being a strong supporter! Your push is helping me greatly! I just redid the video... getting better but will continue working on this!

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful, thanks for the video too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glennis, thank you so much for stopping by and watching that poorly edited video. Did a redo... better! And thanks for the card complement!

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh!!, OH MY GOSH!!!I totally love this card and all the techniques. Girl, I don't know where you get your ideas but, they are awesome. I would love to make a card like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol, thanks for stopping by and for your thoughtful remarks!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth said: Watching your video was mesmerizing. You have inspired me to get my watercolors out and play. (Deleted by mistake)

      Thanks so much Elizabeth... tag me if you post a card! Would love to see it!

      Delete