Monday, November 5, 2018

Comfort and Joy Brutus Monroe Limited Edition 2017

Okay, I am late to the party! I admit it! I bought the box thinking it was a pretty set, but last year I used mostly ephemera on cards. Given I only started coloring stamps in September last year, I was still getting my feet wet at that time and I was intimidated when I received it. It’s definitely a change going to cling stamps from red rubber. But these are very detailed stamps and I’ve enjoyed inking up a few that I’m sharing today.

I decided to start with the pretty poinsettia stamp and going with a simple design. I pulled out watercolor paper, cut it down and stamped the image and sentiment using Gina K. Amalgam ink. I then pulled out tube watercolors and painted the image. When I was done, I added paint spatters. I found a soft plaid paper, Say Freeze, by Craft Smith, that I thought would complement the image. I backed both with the dark gray paper that came in the kit and added gold striped twine and red crystals and called this one done.


For the second card, that I created before my coffee this morning, say what?!?, I decided to use a holly stamp. I also wanted to pair it with a dark green DCWV paper, that, I thought of, but was too dark for the first card. I thought by adding a soft light complementary color background that pattern paper piece would work. I stamped the image in 2 spots using a green Colorbox ink and watercolored it and the background. It’s funny, I watched an Eric Lundgren painting video last night (which is probably why I needed to watercolor this am) where he used in a painting the watercolor paints that get the most negative press, like black and white inks. I didn’t do that here but he inspired me to go against my training and use pthalo green for leaves versus mixing more realistic greens with blue and yellow and red paints. Kinda fun to be different! Anyways, I added  green spatters and white Distress paint. I then lightly used a black pen on it. I stamped and clear embossed the sentiment 3x’s. I finished the card adding plain green background paper, funky striped sequins from the kit and red twine.




So pleased I’ve got a couple more Christmas cards completed and satisfied my watercoloring itch! I’m also happy I’ve started using this kit! Hope you enjoy these cards, and have a great day!

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! Stunning cards! You are not the only one who bought this set and hadn’t touched it. I’m inspired though, to open mine up and get inky! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal, thank you! Omg, just realized there are foiling papers in here! Maybe I’ll pick up that foil machine after all.

      Delete
    2. Is there really?! I should open mine! Lol... I don’t even remember what was in the kit! I got some foiling stuff but haven’t used it yet. One of these days!

      Delete