Thursday, September 27, 2018

Thankful Cup Card

I love decorated coffee cups, so I wanted to make a fall cup with leaves on it. Last week, I pulled out Unity’s Cuppa Comfort. Prior to getting my new orders, I had picked up some leaves stamps from a swap (otherwise I would have used Thankful and Grateful Fall leaves). They came from the 9/16 KOTM. I had inked up the top coffee cup image and set it aside, wondering what to do with it.

I made that image by adding fall distress colors to my craft mat, dipping my watercolor paper into it, and drying it in between dips. Once,  I was happy with the level of color, I then stamped the mug using Coffee Archival ink. Masking off the handle, I then stamped the smallest leaf 3 times on the cup. I used my inks to color in the cup and the leaves. I felt the leaves ended up too dark, so I used a Spectrum Noir glitter pen on the leaves to differentiate them out. I then fussy cut out the cup and left it as is. 

Yesterday was one of those days that everything I tried to do had to be done over 2-3 times. Ever have one of those days? I tried to recreate the cup in lighter tones and eventually threw all the attempts away and looked at the original cup and decided to try to salvage it. I did like it! My husband and I are coffee lovers and coffee cup addicts! So, I decided to make a card for him by adding a second cup and the words “Thankful for you” from the new Thankful and Grateful Fall Kit.

I made a partial copy of the original cup, duplicating the steps above and adhered them together. I then took another watercolor sheet and a stencil, and lightly sprayed a gold Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist over the top. I then took another stencil and added small squares in red and brown Distress inks. I then took the Grateful stamp and embossed it at the top using a brown embossing powder. I stamped the For You all over, including adding it to the cup. I then die cut the paper and added Color to the edges.

To complete the card, I used matching paper as the base, added fancy string and sequins, added another fussy cut leaf, colored the same way.

Have to say, this was a very expensive card for an “okay” card, as I redid every single step above several times. Just an off day, I guess! But I persevered and called it a day, thank goodness!

Well, on to my next endeavor! Thanks for stopping by! Btw, if you wish to follow me and you have a crafty blog or FB site, yourself, just leave the name in a comment and I will follow you as well (all in the spirit of supporting fellow crafters)!


No comments:

Post a Comment