Monday, September 14, 2026

Growing in Unity - Day 1

 Welcome to my first effort in my Growing in Unity (GIU) Week. So excited to be back challenging myself again to use my Unity stash in creative ways. Want to thank Kelli and Angela for this unique opportunity.


A reminder that I’ll be randomly selecting a couple of winners at the end of the week from commenters on my posts. They’ll be eligible for $20 in store credit! What a deal!

For my first day, I decided to start with a tag. I had received a Unity tag and a small piece of Unity patterned paper from Thankful and Blessed as a freebie at some point. These 2 pieces jumpstarted this effort. I began by pulling out coordinating cream, metallic gold and white acrylic paints. I used a brayer to layer these paints on to the tag and dried it thoroughly. I then tore up pieces of the paper along with a mixed media paper I had. I used collage medium to attach the paper strips. Here’s an interim look at the tag with temp ribbons to see the layers. 


I stamped the image from Season of Inspiration using gold distress ink onto watercolor paper. I stamped and watercolored the pumpkin image trying to match colors from the tag and then fussy cut it out. I stamped the sentiment from the kit, cut it down and backed it. I found a “crisp” sentiment that I could use - another Unity offering from the past.



To pull the tag together, I used a variety of products: a sticky border strip (at the bottom), button, twine, burlap, enamel dots and 2 kinds of ribbon. 

Had a lot of fun creating this tag… playing around with colors, different mediums and techniques. Must admit… the autumn season is certainly inspirational for me in terms of my creativity. My GIU week couldn’t have come at a better time.

Hope you enjoyed a look at my first day’s effort. Thanks for stopping by and be sure to leave a comment and your name (otherwise you’ll show up as anonymous) for a chance at winning one of 2 prizes!

44 comments:

  1. I love the collage style background with the torn papers! Wonderful autumn tag with such pretty colors and embellishments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this tag! Your coloring of the pumpkin is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful tag, Joyce! Fabulous coloring on the stamp, as well - I thought perhaps it was cut from patterned paper or other ephemera. Perfect...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Susan. Love watercoloring!

      Delete
  4. Love the torn papers and beautiful fall theme

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the texture ! I can see using the tags for a special gift bag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, your tag is perfection! The pumpkin is painted so beautifully! Have a great GIU week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much interest in this one little tag! Love how you did the base of it with the pretty torn pattern paper; so many possibilities with all the papers out there. The whole tag came together so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! Love the watercoloring of the pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tags! I like to do tags, too
    stamping sue
    https://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it!
    I like making tags into cards.😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! Thank you so much, Barbara

      Delete
  11. You always make the most interesting creations with lots of color, texture and layers. I just love them and this tag is no exception! Each time I look at it I see something different. This is going to be a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your tag. Your water colored pumpkin looks great with all the colors, papers and such. Looking forward to seeing what comes next. Fall is a fabulous time to craft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is… my fav, first sure! Thank you so much for stopping by, Becky

      Delete
  13. Beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the beautiful fall colors!! 💛 🧡 🤎

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! Mixed media has always intimidated.me.but your tag is ama,i g.ama,ing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how freeing it is to do mixed media as anything goes! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  16. What a beautiful start to your GIU week! Thanks for the inspiration for using those tags. I'm looking forward to your beautiful offerings this week.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Tag! I will have to try the collage background technique, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very fun to put paper pieces together… like making your own patterned paper. Thank you for stopping by

      Delete
  18. Love your tags!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great tag. I love the pumpkin you colored and the other embellishments.

    Linda Abel

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful tag and perfect for the Fall season.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very pretty. The collage background is lovely and yellow is such a happy colour. Hugz

    ReplyDelete