Saturday, February 22, 2020

Freeform Watercolor Tag

Was so inspired by quite a few really captivating Instagram posts by very talented crafters that I had to try it myself... watercolor freeform flowers. As this was the first practice try at freeform painting, I didn’t spend tons on time on this as I wasn’t sure how it’d turn out.

To start, I cut down a Hot Pressed Arches watercolor paper to the desired size, pulled out my Altenew watercolors and started painting the large flowers, stems and leaves. I added the smaller pink flowers last, using the odd number protocol usually used in embellishments. I added paint spatters, dried the paper, and pulled out a black pen for detailing. I also used a white Posca pen for highlights. I added some shadows and called it done. I spritzed it with a Perfect Pearls solution and spattered white gouache. I then used a Carabelle Studios stencil, called Napperon, with a violet colored Memento chalk ink. I stamped a script stamp from Unity’s Be Fearless 6/17 SMAK kit using London Fog Memento ink.


Since I wasn’t sure of how it looked I decided to create a tag with it, as I’ve recently been wanting to create tags to have on hand to include with my destash packages. I used a Tag die set to cut both the watercolor paper and purple cardstock. I then took the leftover bottom of the watercolor paper, turned  it over and created a wash using the same paints. I dried it and then stamped a sentiment from another great Unity kit called Sending Kindness and backed that with black paper. This sentiment seemed apropos as I hope those who inspired me (and others) feel good about it and, in turn, I hope this tag encourages others, including the person who receives it!

Well, this certainly was fun and, while the result, while not perfect, by any means, was still okay enough that I think I’ll do this again, only taking it more seriously. I hope this encourages you to also try some freeform type of artistic effort on your cards... as major subject or just background doodles or painting.


Well, enough for today, back to stamps tomorrow! Till next time, happy crafting!

5 comments:

  1. The tag is beautiful! am ready to watch your video!😀

    Linda Abel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda... because of your gentle nudging, I created my first video last night... check out the next post!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous!!!!! Do you have a video? I'm a stamper and cannot find any tuts for water coloring a simple flower. I would definitely be inspired by your tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Because of your request and others, I created my first video last night (next post). I’m sure I’ll include this technique in one also as I so enjoyed free styling it!

      Delete
  3. wow, you have a natural talent for flowers! Love the way this turned out and you have given me more ideas. I have just pinned a bunch of artistic tags on Pinterest and was wondering the next step. Thanks for your input. I can see now I will have to subscribe to your blog! LOL

    ReplyDelete